Monday, 16 December 2013

Book Review: Greaveburn By Craig Hallam

A touch of steam-powered punk

Review: Greaveburn by Craig Hallam | Inspired Quill

Resonant with the hiss and clank of steampunk chic, Hallam’s Greaveburn is a richly-textured and suitably macabre gothic fantasy fit for this cynical age, writes Mark Cantrell in this review from Cheshire Today

Reviewing books can be an ethical quandary these days, given all the sock-puppetry shenanigans that’s rippled through the publishing world recently, so before we begin this appraisal of Doncaster-author Craig Hallam’s debut novel, Greaveburn, it’s perhaps wise to point out that this reviewer is also signed up with his publisher Inspired Quill (IQ).

This has no bearing on the nature of this review, of course, but if nothing else it’s a nifty opportunity for some cheap self-publicity (hey, if you’ve got it, flaunt it), and it certainly pre-empts any accusations of favouritism on my part. Trust me, I’m a journalist, I don’t play favourites. I even eschewed time-honoured tradition and procured a paperback copy of the book at my own expense.

Now that’s dedication, you might think. Actually, no; this was the reader’s instinct at work. An eye-catching cover, which, on closer inspection really captures the moody spirit of the novel, an intriguing blurb, a suitably sombre introduction, and I have to say that I was snared. All right, I confess there was a certain degree of curiosity too.

So, with that disclaimer-come-disclosure out of the way, what did I actually make of Greaveburn?

This article was first published on 28 November 2012. Read the rest of the review at Cheshire Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment